Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Altius 6 FL Question 49: Focusing of a lens
Josh_4080
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 11:02:03 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I thought that changing the focus of a lens will change the internal characteristics of the lens? What does this do if it doesn't change the characteristics? How else does it focus light? Doesnt our eye change its internal characteristics when it focusing on different objects at different distances?

Thanks!
INSTR_Katerina_102
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2020 2:14:44 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

I can't really understand what you are asking in relation to the question, could you clarify if I don't address your question?

Changing the focus of the lens of the monochrome video camera will change its focal length. However you still have to move it back and forth to account for the focal length of the IOL which is constant (it's basically like a static glasses lens except right inside the eye). Essentially, you're using the monochrome video camera as a surrogate for the eye to test the suitability of the IOL before you implant it.

As for how the lens of the eye changes its focal length, the ciliary muscles around it will actually bend and change its shape slightly, thereby changing it's focal length. The IOL does not have this available to it as it is a static object that will be implanted in the eye.

I hope this helps!