Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Altius 3 Covid, bio section, question 16
Shezel_5257
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2020 10:02:43 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello, I was hoping someone could clarify what it means when someone says sense mRNA and antisense mRNA as I have seen it come up more than once.

Is sense mRNA just the same as the sense DNA strand but (using U's instead of T) or is sense mRNA complementary to sense DNA

Is antisense mRNA just the same as the anti sense DNA strand but (using U's instead of T) or is antisense mRNA complementary to antisense DNA

I think I'm getting confused on what they actually are because I'm never able to reason out which of these mRNA's oligonucleotides will bind to the mRNA transcribed by RNA polymerase and why they do so
INSTR_Glen_2
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 3:10:46 PM

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Good question here. I recommend reviewing page 59 for visual clarification of sense and antisense in transcription.
As for the sense mRNA, you're right on. Sense mRNA will look very similar to its neighboring sense DNA strand (coding strand), but Uracil takes the place of Thymine in mRNA. Sense mRNA is complementary to the antisense DNA strand (template strand), again with Uracil in place of Thymine.
Antisense mRNA would be the same as the antisense template strand and complementary to the sense coding strand (Uracil replacing Thymine in the mRNA).
For typical bio passages, sense mRNA is "naturally" produced in the transcription complex. Antisense mRNA can be introduced artificially for a variety of experimental reasons. Sense and antisense mRNA can hybridize. This means that you can attach a fluorescent protein to an antisense mRNA, introduce it to the body, then view where the sense mRNA is localized based on where the two mRNA hybridize.