Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Na+/K+ Membrane Pump
Sarah_4925
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2020 3:15:22 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,
Just a quick question about the cell Na+/K+ pumps.
In the CC Biology 2 (systems), on page 45 it says that this pump is primary active transport, pumping ions against their concentration gradients. On page 63 it says "passive diffusion and the Na/K pump then bring the membrane back to resting potential...". I am confused as to which part of the A.P. is passive and which is considered active in regards to this pump. Would you be able to clarify this for me?
Thank you very much

INSTR_Katerina_102
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2020 3:35:18 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Sarah,

The resting potential of a neuron is established by the active transport done by the Na/K pump. It is not the most stable state because you are expending energy to maintain this "resting" state (making it kind of a misnomer).

It's almost like a dam. When you open Na channels, they follow the electrochemical gradient down via passive diffusion.

This will depolarize the cell and make it favorable for the K+ to diffuse out, also passively, along its concentration gradient.

So in short, the active establishment of the electrochemical gradient by the Na/K pump allows for passive diffusion of Na+ and K+ during action potential.

I hope this helps,

Katt