Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Meiosis fertilization and s phase
Joanna_5226
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2020 6:41:41 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello
Trying to wrap my head around these three processes.
Could someone please help me understand how they all relate to each other?

S phase of cell cycle , meiosis, fertilization
And how does this fit in with the x and Y chromosome ?
Trying to wrap my head around the big picture. I understand what each of the steps in the individual processes are but I’m missing the big picture and how they all relate.
Thankyou
INSTR_Shinthujah_68
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2020 9:22:49 PM

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Joanna,

The cell cycle consists of the following stages: G1 -> S -> G2 -> M (this could be mitosis or meiosis).

The S phase (synthesis phase) is when DNA is replicated regardless of if we are going to do mitosis or meiosis.

Usually somatic cells will undergo mitosis whereas gamete cells will undergo meiosis. Gamete cells (sex cells) include your eggs cells and sperm cells.

In terms of X or Y chromosome: Somatic cells of a human female would have two X-chromosomes, somatic cells of a human male would have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome. Egg cells contain one X-chromosome, Sperm cells contain either an X-chromosome or Y-chromosome.

Fertilization is the fusion of an egg and sperm cell. The egg cell (ova) will be completing meiosis II before it fuses its nucleus with the nucleus of the sperm cell. The sperm cells however, have already finished Meiosis II at the time of fertilization. Its only the egg cell that is finishing meiosis II. Once the egg and sperm cells fuse, you get a diploid cell (zygote). The zygote will now grow through mitosis (i.e. go through G1, S, G2, M).

I hope this helps!
- Shin