Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
AAMC Full length 1
Natasha_4902
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:25:52 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

For question 22 of the chemistry and physics section in AAMC full length 1, it says that the intermolecular bonds are covalent. I thought intermolecular bonds were never covalent, and always london dispersion, dipole dipole or hydrogen bonding? Under what circumstances can you have covalent intermolecular bonds?

Thank you
INSTR_Katerina_102
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 7:30:59 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

This question is a bit strange.

The implication is that multiple of those brushes bonding with each other is an "intermolecular" covalent bond, because it is a disulfide linkage between two molecules forming a dimer.

The corresponding "intramolecular" covalent bond would involve the molecule forming a disulfide linkage with itself in a ring.

The implication of this question is that covalent bonds in disulfide formation are more transient, and so they can call them intermolecular or intramolecular.

However, I would tend to disagree with this question - it's a bit of a curveball, as I would say by virtue of being bonded covalent, you must be intramolecular.

I would say that this semantic distinction is unlikely to come up, as this is the first time I have seen something like this.

Sorry for the inconvenience, please let me know if this is unclear, and I can draw a picture to clarify.

Katt