Tag as favorite
Peptide
Natasha_4902
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 6:02:56 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

For this question: (the answer is 6)

"A peptide consisting of nine amino acids was partially hydrolysed. Three different tripeptides were isolated. None of the tripeptides share a common amino acid. Based on the data, what is the total number of possible structures possible for the full-length peptide?"

Is the fact that none of the tripeptides share a common amino acid irrelevant? How would that impact the calculation? Also, what is the most efficient way to tackle these questions-is there a math equation that avoids writing out all the combinations?

Thank you,

INSTR_Katerina_102
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:17:24 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Natasha,

The no common amino acids is a prerequisite when you have the three tripeptides because if they were as such:

1. AAA
2. AAA
3. AAA

with these common amino acids, it will decrease the number of options available to the full sequence, in this case, reducing your number of possibilities for the full length peptide structure to one.

When you stipulate no common amino acids to each tripeptide, you simplify this to a problem of arranging three things, which you can express quickly using factorials. I have outlined a brief approach here, accompanied by a slightly longer approach.

https://alumniubcca-my.s...ye9s6rjeLjeMBA?e=h7pGHA

I hope this helps!

Katt