Tag as favorite
Biochemistry
Moiz_6047
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 04, 2021 6:12:24 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

I had some biochem questions that I was looking to get some clarification on:

1) Can a prosthetic group involve co-factors and co-enzymes? Is it simply a co-enzyme bound really tightly to an enzyme?

2) I was wondering if you could explain the answer the question 14 in the EK book (bio 1). I thought hydrogen bonds not related to the r group were involved with secondary structure?

3) Question 23 EK Book (Bio 1). Why would a mixed inhibitor not work? Would it not increase/decrease affinity for substrate?

4) Will the solutions for the critical thinking questions in the course companion be posted?
raquel
#2 Posted : Friday, May 07, 2021 1:01:52 AM

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Moiz.

1) A prosthetic group is a tightly or covalently bound group to the apoprotein to allow for proper enzyme function.It can involve either. An example of a prosthetic group can be vitamins, which are both coenzyme and cofactor.

2) I am not sure what the question is asking in the actual book. #14 in ICE is not about secondary structure, but this is my take to your question: Hydrogen bonds can also exist in the R groups as well. Any time there is a F,O or N attached to hydrogen, it can have the potential for hydrogen bonding.

3) I am also a bit puzzled...For this question, the Km has increased from 1.0 x 10^-6 to 1.2 x 10^-6 while the Vmax had halved. If there was no change in Vmax, I would have said this is competitive, but its not the case... It should be mixed, I believe. It might be a typo.

4) The solutions to the course companion can be found in the back of the book.

Hope that helps, and happy studying!