Tag as favorite
Altius FL4 Bio/Biochem
Nicole_5521
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2021 1:37:36 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

I have a few questions about the Altius FL4 Bio/Biochem section:

For Q6, I thought from the EK books that a coenzyme consists of two types, one of them being prosthetic groups. However, Q6 is suggesting that coenzymes and prosthetic groups are 2 separate things? Could you clarify what's going on in the question and also about coenzymes/prosthetic groups?

For Q8, how do you tell that HPV16 is an acellular virus? Also, how come viral proteins alone are unable to mark cells?

Also, just wondering, what's the difference between the cytosol and the cytoplasm?

Thanks!
INSTR_Molly_129
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2021 7:57:15 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Nicole,

Good catch on Q6. Its definitely a bit confusing in terms of the wording. Instructor Meg and I agree that the key here refers to the irreversible nature of the binding, which makes it closer to a prosthetic group, than a coenzyme, since it could come on and off. In general, cofactors = coenzyme + metals is the easiest way to think about it.

For Q8: All viruses are accellular. They work by taking over host cells and hijacking metabolic processes for their own propagation. Viral proteins alone sometimes don't mark cells because, well... if it did, we wouldn't need vaccines! They evade our immune system by failing to mark anything, which is why they can be quite tricky.

Cytosol = solution within cell. Cytoplasm = cytosol + all organelles and stuff that's inside a cell.

Hope this helps!

Molly