Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Bonding
Nicole_5521
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2021 2:33:28 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

I'm wondering what exactly are hydrophobic bonds and what their relative strength is compared to other types of bonds?

Thanks!
INSTR_Molly_129
#2 Posted : Friday, July 09, 2021 11:02:21 PM

Hi Nicole,

Hydrophobic bonds are non-polar covalent bonds. They are generally formed between atoms that have relatively low electronegativity difference. For example, C-C and C-H bonds are non-polar. Generally, polar bonds that you will encounter in organic chemistry will be O-H, N-H, F-H (Your FON elements), and C-O or C=O. Those are just to name a few.

In terms of relative strength, well, it really depends. In general, the bonds that I mentioned are covalent bonds, which are the strongest bonds. The next strongest would be ionic, and the least would be hydrogen bonds, followed by other van der waal forces.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers, and happy studying!

Molly
Nicole_5521
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 2:31:15 PM

Hi Molly,

I've noticed that disulfide bonds tend to be really strong since they are covalent bonds. Compared to the hydrophobic bonds how come disulfide bonds are stronger if they're both covalent bonds?

Thank you!
INSTR_Molly_129
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 4:48:50 PM

Hi Nicole,

Within covalent bonds, there are also hierarchy in terms of how strong those bonds are. You are not expected to have this table memorized, but here it is in case you are curious:

http://gr.xjtu.edu.cn/c/...amp;name=DLFE-39601.pdf

The higher the bond enthalpy is, the stronger the bond. In general, if there is a large electronegativity difference, the bond will be slightly stronger. You can see that when comparing fluorine bonds against other atoms, or comparing atoms bonding to itself.

I think that you might be asking about a specific question or definition you may have seen. If you are able to, could you please let me know what question or page number of what resource you were looking at, and I will be able to better tailor my responses to your question.

Hope this helps, happy studying!

Molly
Nicole_5521
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 5:41:06 PM

Yes, I was looking at Q39 of Altius FL 4 in the Chem/Physics section. It was talking about how disulfide bonds are strongest.
INSTR_Molly_129
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 7:20:51 PM

Ah, I see what's going on.

A hydrophobic patch (answer C) is not the same as a hydrophobic bond. A hydrophobic patch is a group of hydrophobic amino acids held together by their mutual hydrophobicity. This is an intermolecular bond (held together by vanderwaal forces) and its MUCH weaker than an intramolecular bond, such as a disulfide, covalent bond.

Its like the same idea behind boiling water (breaking water intermolecular bonds) and hydrolysis of water (breaking the individual H-O-H bonds). Hydrolysis is an input of A LOT more energy (actually passing electric current through water!) than simple boil and evaporate.

Hope that clarifies it,

Molly