Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
CARS help
Brittany_6462
#1 Posted : Friday, July 09, 2021 5:04:39 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I am struggling to get over the 125 for CARS, my EK1010 tests range from 124-128, around 75-77% correct on AAMC Qpacks and I was wondering what I should do?

I often find myself struggle with detailed questions because I avoid going back to passage and when i do I am fishing for the answer or cant't find it. I post mortem my exams a day after and find the questions I got wrong are often detail, or where the author stands if they dont have a strong obvious opinion. When reading I often feel like I have a good grasp of the main idea and when I post mortem my thought process is usually right, it is the answer questions and the answer choice wordings that trip me up.

Any tips would be appreciated!
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#2 Posted : Friday, July 09, 2021 10:59:00 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
H Brittany,

How efficiently are you eliminating answer choices? A lot of times, when we have trouble putting our finger on what the author believes and their opinion isn't obvious, it can be easier to eliminate what we know can't be correct. Then, whatever is left, don't spend too much energy trying to validate it. If it isn't what the author doesn't believe, then it has to be the correct answer. Remember, there are no perfect answer choices -- sometimes, just the best answer from a really poor list.

If you're being misled by questions and answer choices, try to restate the question in your own words. Since you just read the passage, a lot of the times your words will borrow from what you just read. This can be a really effective way to rephrase the question in a way that leads you to the correct answer choice.

And, very often, more practice is just what is needed to get a better feel for the wording of the passages. Try to focus your attention on the AAMC material, since that will be closest to your actual exam.

Sincerely,
Meaghan