Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Continuity Equation
cathy4208
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2015 12:06:45 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

I'm not sure how to approach this passage question regarding the continuity equation, and would appreciate the assistance.

Question: Measuring the velocity of blood flow in the circulatory system, the student discovers that the artery has a blood flow velocity that is significantly than a capillary connected to it in series via an arteriole, and also has significantly lower blood pressure. The student perceives the results of this experiment to be inconsistent with the continuity equation and Pascal’s principle. What oversight did the student make when concluding that the continuity equation was being violated?

A) Not measuring both blood vessels at the ventricular systole
B) Establishing an incorrect closed system for the experiment
C) Measuring a constricted artery instead of a dilated one
D) Failing to account for the difference between arteriole and capillary net pressure

Thanks!
heatherjudd
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 07, 2015 6:27:49 PM

There is a word missing from your question:

"Question: Measuring the velocity of blood flow in the circulatory system, the student discovers that the artery has a blood flow velocity that is significantly _______ than a..."

As I don't have the details - I'll assume this actually depends on something 'violating' the continuity equation. My expectation is that this question is going to be based on the underlying physiology of arterioles/capillaries. My background is in physics/math, but is it not the case that one arteriole is connected to more than one capillary? The continuity equation says essentially that if one part of a system moves 1L/s then another part must too because the blood has to go somewhere (can't escape, won't compress). If an arteriole splits into two capillaries then the 1L/s is made of of 0.5L/s moving through each capillary. If I only examined one of these, it would appear to violate the continuity equation.

If this hasn't answered you question, can you please let me know the detail/question source?

Thanks

cathy4208
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2015 11:55:42 PM

heatherjudd wrote:
There is a word missing from your question:

"Question: Measuring the velocity of blood flow in the circulatory system, the student discovers that the artery has a blood flow velocity that is significantly _______ than a..."

As I don't have the details - I'll assume this actually depends on something 'violating' the continuity equation. My expectation is that this question is going to be based on the underlying physiology of arterioles/capillaries. My background is in physics/math, but is it not the case that one arteriole is connected to more than one capillary? The continuity equation says essentially that if one part of a system moves 1L/s then another part must too because the blood has to go somewhere (can't escape, won't compress). If an arteriole splits into two capillaries then the 1L/s is made of of 0.5L/s moving through each capillary. If I only examined one of these, it would appear to violate the continuity equation.

If this hasn't answered you question, can you please let me know the detail/question source?

Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks! The question detail was : Measuring the velocity of blood flow in the circulatory system, the student discovers that the artery has a blood flow velocity that is significantly greater than a..."

I understand the logic as you have outlined, but I'm not sure how to get to the correct answer. Wouldn't B encapsulate that logic?