Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
ICE 2 and 3 Questions
Janelle_5719
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2020 11:21:17 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
- ICE 2 #28: I understand how work was found but I don’t understand how they found what the height was. Could you explain how to find the height?
- ICE 2 #45: I don’t understand how they determined the second L length as it is not given. I understand the rest of the calculation after that.
- ICE 3 #48: Why is the density put as 2/4 instead of 4/2? The equation is p=m/V and it's 4x the mass and only 2x the volume? Also how do you properly set up ratio questions? I usually get the right value (for example I know it is 2 or ½) but I don't know whether it goes in the denominator or numerator.

INSTR_Kailey_109
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 04, 2020 9:58:04 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello, thank you for the questions!

For ICE 2 #28, to find the height, you need to use some trig. As the passage states, 90 degrees = knee fully flexed, 0 degrees = knee fully extended. In the study, the knee moves from 90 degrees to 30 degrees. To find the change in height, we need to find the length of the side of the triangle when the leg is at 30 degrees. This is one of the special triangle with angles of 30/60/90 with the edges being 1/2/sqrt(3). The edge of the triangle, then, is 0.15 cm. This means that the change in height is 0.3m-0.15m=0.15m. You can now plug this value into W=Fxd to get (500N)x(0.15m) which you can approximate as (500N)x(1/6) to give you the closest answer of D, 75J. Hope this answers your question!

For ICE 2 #45, the question says “meter stick” so the total length of the rod is 1m. With the left side of the rod (relative to the pivot point) being 20 cm, the right side must be 80 cm.

For ICE 3 #48, recall that the RBC has a different mass than the WBC as stated in the passage (RBC=0.5ng, WBC=2ng making the mass of of 1 WBC 4x that of a RBC. My best advice for ratios is setting it up based on what the question is asking (in this case they are asking for the ration of RBC to that of a WBC, or, RBC/WBC) and using the same units. The units I chose to use in my calculation was RBCmass and RBCvol when mass_RBC=1 RBCmass, volume_RBC=1 RBCvol, mass_WBC=4 RBCmass, volume_WBC=2 RBCvol. Hope this helps!