Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Biochemistry ICE questions
Adeeb_5269
#1 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2020 4:52:12 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hey,
Im having a really hard time reading and understanding the passages in the ICE's. Even after reading some of them 2 or 3 times, I still don't get what they are saying (and I know I wont have time to read them multiple times on the MCAT). I've tried answering the questions, and Im good at the questions that draw info from things we have learned on our own, but I can't answer any of the questions that draw info from the passage. When I check the answers, almost all of them say things like "the passage explains...." or "as mentioned in the passage..."

I REALLY need help with this. What can I do to better understand these passages? I feel like they throw around so many abbreviations and big words that I totally become unengaged when reading them
INSTR_Charanpreet_99
#2 Posted : Monday, June 08, 2020 8:38:40 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

This is a common experience for students as they first begin to take the practice exams. Though difficult, the intuition and confidence to draw from passages will come with practice. This is a skill often practiced in your CARS classes/workshops and so I would use that time to start to think on the author's perspective and how to analyze and take key things away from the figures. For instance, one strategy is to scan the passage and the figures on the first look, taking away key elements such as paragraph headings (if any), figure/graph titles, axes labels, scales and and general trends, and then to go back and read the passage once in depth. Rushing through the passage will not help in gaining important information and will often result in having to re-read the passage. It is more efficient to read it once slowly and with focus. If you would like, you can also try scanning biobiochem articles/journals outside of class time as extra practice to see if you could summarize the passage, its findings, the main takeaways from the figures and that will help you get familiar with some of the bio/biochem writing style.

The main thing is to not worry, do consistent practice, and you will grow and improve slowly but surely.