Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
CC Lesson 2 Review Question
Shezel_5257
#1 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2020 8:19:35 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi, on review questions 9 (page146-147) in the classroom companion I was a little confused about the first and second answers. The answer key says the the answer for question q is that the silica gel is the mobile phase (I thought it was the stationary phase? as listed a few pages before?). For the second question it asks about the spots and says that spot A is the triglyceride even though it is higher up on the plate. Am I just misunderstanding the concept because from what I have learned none of the answers in the answer key make sense to me.
INSTR_Katerina_102
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2020 4:50:52 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

Silica gel is the stationary phase in this question (so the answer to 2 should be A).

The stationary silica gel in TLC is polar, and therefore a more polar compound spends more time in the silica gel, while a less polar compound like a fatty acid will travel further up the plate as it spends less time interacting with the polar silica gel.

Imagine someone on a road trip who takes a lot of pit stops, they don't travel as far or as fast as someone who drives the whole way and doesn't interact with anything at all. In this case, the more polar phospholipid takes more "pit stops" in the silica and the less polar fatty acid takes less, which results in the fatty acid travelling further up the plate.