Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Catalytic Activity
Vasil_5264
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2020 12:00:16 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,
I am wondering if I have a correct grasp on what is meant by the term catalytic activity. I though that the activity of an enzyme is the Vmax/Km value, and this dictates how similar two enzymes or proteins are in terms of function. When i did my Altius half length test there was a question asking about the effects on Catalytic activity and Substrate binding when Km was increased and Vmax was not changed. I thought this would mean a decrease in catalytic activity, as Km is on the bottom of the fraction, however the correct answer was that catalytic activity was unchanged. I am wondering whether my thought process is wrong?
-thanks
INSTR_Charanpreet_99
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2020 1:32:58 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I think you are referring to catalytic efficiency, which is described as Vmax/Km. The lower the Km, the higher the Vmax at a low substrate concentration (i.e. very efficient enzyme). Your thought process makes sense, that as Km increases, the efficiency would decrease. Perhaps this question was based on some detail specifically in the passage of that question? Your concept understanding is there so this might just be a weakly worded-question.