Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Chem EK Q25 Page 47
Chaitali_3347
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 4:50:52 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi
Could you explain or rephrase part of the answer given to this question in back of book?

"Bond energy is actually negative PE, so higher the magnitude, lower the energy of the compound, the more energy necessary to break the bond, and the more stable the bond."

so, the more negative it goes means lower energy because its more negative but how is it more stable?

just a bit confused with this part of the answer.

Another way to answer the question if energies were not given would be, the more HCs the higher the energy required to break it?

thanks
INSTR_Molly_59
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 5:43:30 PM

Groups:

Basically, when a bond has higher energy, it means that you need to put much more effort into breaking it. That means that the bond is really happy the way it is and so therefore, very stable (and unreactive).

Think of potential energy as food. Lets say, our body digest all foods, but its easier to digest an apple, but its harder to digest nutella. This would be because its really easy to break the bonds of apple molecules, but its harder to break bonds of nutella. Therefore, we can say that apples have lower bond energy, and nutella has higher bond energy. Since its easier to break apart the apple, I'm going to get more potential energy out of eating an apple, than eating nutella, because my body has to put in more effort to break those really highly stable nutella bonds (with high bond energy), as opposed to the less stable, lower bond energy apple bonds.

I hope this helps!! :)

Chaitali_3347
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:27:35 PM

Groups: Registered

Thank you!:)
INSTR_Molly_59
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2020 5:41:32 PM

Groups:

My pleasure, any time! :)

Happy studying!