Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Fluorine
Olivia_5618
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 12:01:40 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Acidity increases going DOWN periodic table due to stabilization from size, but going UP/RIGHT due to electronegativity and holding on to electrons, amongst other trends.
I am wondering why HCl and the rest of the acids down the group are considered to be strong acids, but HF is considered to be a very weak acid? Why is the F- ion such a strong base and i guess you could say an exception to the trends observed.

Also, are the halogens/halides just a funny group? Looking at nucleophilicity with them as well right now and that specific group seems to pose an exception to the stated trend that nucleophilicity increase going up this group rather than down as observed in the other groups?
INSTR_Radhika_42
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:28:17 AM

HF is considered a weak acid when observing the F- anion. The other halides are larger than F and therefore, much more able to distribute the negative charge they acquire. F in comparison, although extremely electronegative, cannot bear the brunt of the negative charge well (it can't alleviate electronic crowding well!) making it a weak acid.

As for the halides being a funny group, would you be able to clarify what you mean? Are you referring to the fact that the trend for the entire group is going up rather than others that go down? I can better answer your question this way :)
Olivia_5618
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:29:12 AM

Hi!

Okay thank you! As for the halides, I posted another topic called "factors affecting SN2 reactions" which outlines my confusion pretty well :)