Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Neural Potential
Natasha_4902
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:33:11 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

For question 27 on page 49 in the EK Biology 2 book, the answer states that if K+ ions could no longer leave (increased intracellular concentration of K+ ions), the resting potential would become more positive because K+ is positively charged. However, the Nernst equation states that if the ratio of intracellular to extracellular K+ concentration increases (as it would if K+ was unable to leave), the membrane potential becomes more negative. How is this discrepancy explained?

Thank you
INSTR_Katerina_102
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 11:11:23 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

You make a very good point.

Having only the Na+/K+ pump active, you would expect a higher concentration of intracellular potassium, and thus a more negative value of the resting potential, leaving you with C.

However, the Nernst equation doesn't just rely on the polarization of potassium, but also that of sodium and its permeability. When the permeability of potassium decreases, its contribution to the resting potential decreases and is less significant than that of sodium.

Sodium's resting potential is more positive, and so you would expect the resting potential to shift closer to that of sodium. Thus A seems more plausible.

I would also note that this situation seems similar to the start of an action potential, where the membrane depolarizes.

That being said, it's a tricky question and I think just eliminating to A and C is a good outcome.

Please let me know if this is unclear.