Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Hydrogen versus lone pair
Keshav_5360
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2020 4:46:31 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello!
In regards to all the molecules that usually show up on the MCAT, such as line diagrams or cyclic structures. How do we know if it is not specified, if an atom will have a hydrogen bound to it versus if it has a lone pair. I just want to know the rule of thumb since if it has a hydrogen bound to it, then that will change the formal charge. In addition, having a lone pair rather than a hydrogen bound to it, will also change the formal charge and hybridization. I am not sure if there are different rules to this problem depending on if its aromatic or not but I get confused as to when to add a bonded hydrogen mentally, or if I should add a lone pair mentally in my head to figure out some question.
Thank you!
INSTR_Molly_59
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 6:55:34 PM

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Keshav,

It will need to be determined through using Lewis diagrams. But in general, most carbons (unless charged) will have a full octet of bonds, and any heteroatom functional groups (ie. NH2, etc.) will have their hydrogens stated (You will always see NH2, and not N, and expect that you are to determine the number of hydrogens present).

Hope this helps! :)