Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Bio#1 ICE 4 Question 73
Micaela_5142
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 09, 2020 10:37:56 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
In the ICE 4 in the Biology Study Guide 1, I was really confused about how to find the answer for question 73. The question asked which base would likely be read by Duplex Sequencing in place of 8-oxo-dG after 3 rounds of PCR, but I don't understand how to solve this with the knowledge I have of PCR.
INSTR_Shinthujah_68
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 2:49:58 AM

Groups:

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Micaela,

This question is mainly testing your knowledge of base pairing. The PCR aspect of the question helps you understand that the DNA sequence will separate (denaturation), be read, and elongated with the appropriate base pairs.

The question stem tells us that 8-oxo-dG will be preferentially paired to a dA (oxo-dG : dA). So in the first round of PCR we will separate the strands, anneal, and read those base pairs. In this first round oxo-dG will most likely pair again with dA.....and dA will complementary bind to dT.

So even at this point you can see what base has replaced the oxo-dG (you don't need to go the 3 rounds of PCR). We see that dT replaces the oxo-dG and will bind to the dA so that is your answer.

I hope this helps :)

- Shin