Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
AAMC QPACK: Vol2, Passage 12, Question 71
Rehab_3577
#1 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 10:43:35 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

In AAMC CARS question pack vol.2, passage 12, question 71: I am confused about why the right answer is the right answer.

I was able to eliminate A and B which I found to be either irrelevant or contrary to the main idea, and then was stuck between C and D.

I answered D (the correct answer is C).

While I did not love answer choice D, which I picked, I chose it because when compared to answer choice C, I thought it was more relevant to the passage. I do not recall the author discussing biased vs unbiased thought and its effects on survival.

Even now, I am re-reading the passage to try and get some hints as to why C is correct but cant quite rationalize the answer. My thought process now is that maybe the authors discussion of "detachment" from sensibility and intelligence is essentially alluding that this "detachment" is synonymous with "unbiased thought" (in answer choice C)?

I would appreciate some help on this question!

Thank you.

INSTR_Meaghan_74
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 11:36:56 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
My overall understanding of the passage is that sensibility and intelligence are biologically useful, until they become detached. A bias come to you from sensibility and intelligence, or knowledge and beliefs about the world. So, when you detach sensibility and intelligence, you have unbiased thought. And since that detachment reduces survival, unbiased thought must reduce survival. That is my validation for answer choice C.