Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
NADH (3 or 2.5?)
tiffyleung
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:36:50 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello! I was working with the calculations regarding ATP from nadh and fadh2, and used 2.5 for nadh (1.5 if in cyto) and 1.5 for fadh2. However, in the science workshop passage 3 question 12, the teacher used 3 and 2 instead. Asking another forum, they said to use 2.5 and 1.5. Can someone please confirm :)? Thanks
chanseyveinotte
#2 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 6:31:42 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi There,

For the MCAT and from my own test taking experience and official practice test exposure - NADH yields 3 ATP , andFADH2 yields 2 ATP is what you want to keep in mind.
The AAMC will utilize 3 and 2 to cut down on the specifics and keep the focus on big picture type concepts and critical thinking questions. I have come across a view practice sets from other sources that have utilized the other ATP so you may find this as well. General rule - apply the 3 and 2 ATP counts first for any question that would ask this information of you. If your answer is not an option - you can try the 2.5 and 1.5 values. Again - I have only seen 3 and 2 ATP values come up on official sources. Based on occurrence chances are you may have one question on your MCAT (if that) that would require a calculation of ATP from NADH products.