Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Reinforcement Schedule
Alexandra_4591
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:22:57 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I came across this question and I was just looking for some clarification about Pigeon B:

Pigeon A is placed in a Skinner box and rewarded with food for pecking a key. On average, the reward appears every 6th peck, but the number of pecks between rewards varies. Pigeon B is yoked to Pigeon A such that whenever Pigeon A gets rewarded, Pigeon B gets rewarded, regardless of Pigeon B’s behavior. What reinforcement schedule is being utilized for Pigeon A and Pigeon B, respectively?

I do not have the answer to this question so I have been unable to verify what is correct.
I am under the assumption that Pigeon A is variable ratio because the reward depends on the number of times the pigeon pecks the key, but the delivery of the reward varies. However, I initially thought that Pigeon B was on a variable interval schedule because the delivery of food only relies on reward delivery to Pigeon A. I made the assumption that the timing at which Pigeon A would be rewarded may vary depending on its behavior? Is that an appropriate assumption to make?

Thanks in advance!
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#2 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 3:48:11 PM

Pigeon B's reward does not depend on their responses, since they are yoked to Pigeon A. They are getting a reward after a certain period of time, however long it takes A to get the reward. So, if A gets the rewards after every few responses, depending on how long it took them to get the reward, that will be the amount of time before B receives its reward.

Sounds like your reasoning is on the right track!

Hope this helps!
Meaghan
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#3 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 3:49:34 PM

Pigeon B's reward does not depend on their responses, since they are yoked to Pigeon A. They are getting a reward after a certain period of time, however long it takes A to get the reward. So, if A gets the rewards after every few responses, depending on how long it took them to get the reward, that will be the amount of time before B receives its reward.

It sound like your reasoning is on the right track!

Hope this helps!
Meaghan