Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Biology 2 EK - ICE 1 question 19
Daniella_5444
#1 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2020 4:06:26 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

I was practicing the ICE 1 of the Biology 2 EK 11th edition book.

I came across a question that I answered confidently, but then when I checked my answer in the back I was wrong.

Question 19; A cell that is drastically hypertonic to its environment will most likely experience which of the following?
A. bursting
B. shriveling
C. mitosis
D. infection.

I picked B because I remembered learning in class that is a cell hypotonic it will burst. Meaning that hypertonic would do the opposite and cause it to shrivel.

However, when I looked to see the answer in the back it says A.
It says B is an unlikely answer because shrivelling occurs when the environment is hypertonic.

Am I misunderstanding something on my end regarding the difference between cells in a hyper and hypotonic environments or does the EK answers for ICE 1 have a typo?

I look forward to a reply.

Thank you!
INSTR_Ahmed_38
#2 Posted : Monday, June 08, 2020 8:45:52 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Daniella,
A cell that is drastically hypertonic means that the cell has very little water and instead has a high solute concentration. In this instance, water from the surrounding environment will diffuse into the cell... would this necessarily result in the cell bursting? not necessarily, but it is possible. So answer choice A is a possibility. Answer choice B is not at all likely, because water diffusing into the cell will not cause it to shrink. Answers C and D are nonsensical.
Note that the question stem says the cell itself is hypertonic compared to its environment, it did not say the cell is in a hypertonic environment which is a very different case. I hope this helps.