Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Altius Test 3 FL (not COVID) - Question 10
Josh_4080
#1 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 9:33:27 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Im am quite confused as the logic for why C is incorrect. It states that this is because there are now two independent variables which means that you cannot differentiate the two. Which I totally agree with normally. However, if you are performing an experiment and you separate your groups into old and young, and then perform the experimental conditions within each group (high/low testosterone for old and young) then would this mean that you are now "controlling" in a sense for age? I get it if it you split into old high testosterone and young low testosterone. But that isn't what is being done (and the answer explanation even states this).

Thanks for helping me!
INSTR_Rheann_72
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2020 7:33:28 PM

Essentially in any experiment you want the two groups you are comparing to be essentially the same except for the single intervention you are giving them. If there is anything else that is different that could act as another independent variable (or a confounder) and skew the results.

If they give high testosterone and low testosterone to each group and then compare the results between the groups you would have the differences of testosterone and the differences of age.

Does this answer your question?
Josh_4080
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 5:03:29 PM

Hmm, so I get that you can't compare between the age groups, because that would result in confounding the age variable. But, could you also just compare within an age group and not across them? Then you wouldn't be confounding for age, you would actually be controlling for age, which is how I interpreted the answer.
INSTR_Rheann_72
#4 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 11:14:28 PM

Hi Josh, Can you please copy the question to here so I can accurately answer your question? Thanks