Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
When to accept research on animal models as true
Emma_4604
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 07, 2019 3:30:01 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi there,

My question is regarding when it is appropriate to accept research done on an animal model as being true for humans as well.

In a recent practice exam, there was a passage describing the effects of exposure to a particular protein. The data included 1) altered T4 hormone levels in pregnant female rats, and 2) cognitive disabilities in human children. The question stem asked for the expected deficits in a child whose mother was exposed to the protein during pregnancy. I selected the answer choice "reduced IQ only", but the correct answer was "reduced IQ and reduced T4 serum levels".

Perhaps I was over-thinking the stem as being an MCAT writer trying to trick me, but I thought that it would be better not to assume the rat model was reasonably applicable to humans without anything in the passage compelling me to assume so.

So my question is, what are your thought on when to accept animal model data as being true for humans? Should I always take the provided research on animal models to be true?

Thanks!
Emma
INSTR_Katerina_102
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 11:13:48 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

This is hard to say without context.

Could you link the question/passage in more detail so that we can have a bit more context on this?

Thanks!