Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Implicit in the passage
Emma_5484
#1 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 3:19:14 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Meaghan,

In EK 101 Test 8 Passage 3 Question 11 the question asks for something that the passage strongly IMPLIES. However the correct answer choice (A) was a statement that was taken almost word for word from the first paragraph of the passage.Is it correct to assume for questions where they ask about implied ideas that we should choose the most correct statement even if it seems to be something that is explicit?

Thanks,
Emma
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2020 11:22:14 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Emma! To be honest, I think that this question really straddles the line because answer choice C is a mild implication of the passage I think the fact that the wording of the question states "strongly implied"leads me to think it has to be a major idea from the passage. Then we look at that answer choice - Answer Choice A is extreme by stating it was ONLY possible because of the reduced stigmatization. The ONLY POSSIBLE leaves room for no other causation, even though the author also introduces some ideas of self-esteem and the buffering effect of membership in a stigmatized group. So, the implication in this passage is that the reduced stigmatization is the ONLY reason, despite the author introducing other ideas. He is still implying that there is no other way it could have been possible, hence the reason an extreme answer is correct in this place.