Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
AAMC CARS Vol. 1 Passage 9 Question 58
Josh_4080
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2020 5:54:21 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I am confused as to the explanation for B and D.

I don't understand why inferences do not depend on the processing of new information. This how I am breaking down the logic:

New information + matching of information to generic script --> Scrip activation --> now we can make inferences based off of this script activation.

BUT now that I write this, here is maybe what I think it is saying: That because inferencing is based off of a general script and it not specific, and thus it does not require processing of the new information to be used, then it does not depend on this processing? It is a parallel process? But see this still gets me thinking that in order to even utilize the script it needed to be activated and thus requires the processing of new information... This is a hard question!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2020 12:35:30 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Josh,

The question asks for the author's description of script activation -- how do you feel the author described this? The author gives us the example of the restaurant script in his description of how our behaviour is guided by prior knowledge of a specific situation. Since B is what the author described in the passage, it is the better answer for this question. A very important idea in this is that we required prior knowledge that was activated by a similar situation. We then try to put new information into this, but first the script must be activated by a similar situation that is not new, because it fits the script.