Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Ethics in answer choices
Keshav_5360
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2020 9:23:27 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello

In terms of answer choices on the altius test, I specifically did not choose an answer choice because I thought it was unethical in regards to experimentation. The question #10 on altius #3, it asks what the most effective experiment would be in regards to some finding. I chose B even though it is just a correlational study, and did not choose D since I thought that it may be unethical to administer testosterone to females?
In general, my question is about where to draw the line for ethics. I agree that D is the best answer choice but I decided against it since I thought it went too far? I am not sure what the rule of thumb is for these types of questions

Thank you!
INSTR_Radhika_42
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 12:18:30 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Keshav!

Good question, the MCAT is funny think way.

I think the right way to proceed with a question like this to to make sure you're truly answering the question that that is your primary focus. This question asked 'which experimentation method would be the most effective' and you should proceed, all other considerations aside (incld. ethics), by selecting the option you think would best elucidate what they're looking for. Sometimes, this wouldn't be the right approach - i.e. if you were a physician, you probably wouldn't be making this call. Remember the test is trying to see if you can critically think through the concepts and challenges.

As for a rule of thumb re: ethics, here's my take on it: do not factor ethics into a question unless the question and sometimes the passage asks for it. Med schools will understand your take on these concepts through administering tests like CasPer. For the MCAT focus on logical and critical thought.

Hope this helps!