Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Reverse Transcriptase synthesis
Daniela_5535
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 02, 2020 3:10:22 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

I just had a couple questions about reverse transcriptase synthesis.

1. What is the difference between reverse transcriptase synthesis vs normal DNA replication in a non viral cell?

2. In which direction does this occur in if it is reverse then wold it be synthesized in the 3-5 as opposed to the 5-3 direction (or am i totally confusing these concepts)

3. Can you please provide an example of a parent and daughter strand of the reverse trans process.

THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

INSTR_Katerina_102
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2020 10:45:22 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Daniela,

1. What is the difference between reverse transcriptase synthesis vs normal DNA replication in a non viral cell?

Reverse transcriptase (RT) performs reverse transcription of RNA. This refers to the idea that an RT enzyme generates DNA from an RNA template. We call this DNA complementary DNA (cDNA).

It differs from normal DNA replication because normal DNA replication involves making DNA from a DNA template.

2. In which direction does this occur in if it is reverse then wold it be synthesized in the 3-5 as opposed to the 5-3 direction (or am i totally confusing these concepts)

If I remember correctly, reverse refers to the fact that RT is moving opposite to what you expect from the central dogma. That is:

RT goes from RNA --> DNA, but

The central dogma dictates DNA --> RNA.

It does not refer to the direction of synthesis. RT will also perform its job 5' to 3' along the strand it is synthesizing, just like a regular polymerase.

3. Can you please provide an example of a parent and daughter strand of the reverse trans process.

The parent strand should be the RNA template, because RT will "read" information from there to synthesize the daughter cDNA strand.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this is unclear!

Katt