Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
AAMC FLE 2 Passage 7 Q.35
Emma_5484
#1 Posted : Monday, August 03, 2020 8:25:15 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi there,

For this question I find it difficult to determine which answer is superior between option C and D. I have read the explanation given in the answer key however I am still not understanding why option D is not valid. Some clarity would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Emma
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2020 4:44:33 PM

Hi Emma,

This question asks about a fictional audience - which the author describes as "Not actually present". The only answer choice that involves an audience that is not present is Answer Choice D. If they are voting by telephone, they're most likely not there. Answer choice C describes a target audience, but not if they are present or not.

Emma_5484
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 06, 2020 12:50:18 AM

Hi Meaghan,

That is what I assumed as well, however C is the target audience and D is the voting by phone. Answer C is the correct choice according to AAMC review page.
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#4 Posted : Friday, August 07, 2020 3:26:41 AM

Hi Emma! I'm sorry, I wrote that answer quickly and didn't get a chance to finish it before I received an error message and lost forum access. I didn't mean to be confusing, but I had more to say!
Yes, answer choice D is voting by telephone and not present, but they still exist and are not imagined. Whereas, C doesn't matter is it is present or not, because it is an imagined target group. There is no evidence of the actual, concrete existence of the audience in answer choice c.
Think about what this question is asking: Which group listed below is an example of the way the author uses the term fictional audience? You know a fictional audience is imagined. D, though it isn't present, is voting by telephone, so there is evidence of their existence, merely by the fact that they are voting. C we don't have evidence of their existence, and by saying we have a target of that age group, we are "imagining" the possible audience we want to target.