Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
class set 1 #12
Brittany_6462
#1 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2021 4:50:22 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
For the calculations for kinetic energy I was wondering where the t=4 seconds came from? Also I was struggling throughout the questions when to look at the normaxia graph vs when to look at the hypoxia one?
INSTR_Katrina_128
#2 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2021 3:18:57 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Brittany!

This passage is tricky. The information is hidden discretely throughout the passage AND in the problem statement.

The time is given to us in the problem statement, which is t = 4 min (not seconds). It is written out in words, not numbers, making it even more difficult to spot! Boooo. 😫

The question is asking us about AUGMENTED FICO2, so we will use the "open circles" data in the six graphs. But which of the six graphs do we use?

Let's set up our formula:

KE = (1/2)mv²

We are given density = 1025 kg/m³.

If we can multiply density by a volume, we can turn it into a mass. Only one of the graph sets has a volume unit -- the second row, which is a volume RATE. This is also where we will use the t = 4 minutes.

Multiplying density x volume rate x time = mass. Great!

Since we are at 100% workload, the value of VE is ABOUT THE SAME in graphs C and D, so it doesn't matter which graph you use! What a mean question!!

Same with the velocity values, which you need to get a value of v. They are approximately the same in graphs E and F at 100% workload.

So it doesn't matter (for THIS question) which graph you use (normoxia or hypoxia).

I hope this helps!