Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
EK In-Class Q - Lecture 4
Sabrina_5297
#1 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2021 10:22:25 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
In the Chemistry EK book on page 162 (lecture 4), the question asks: "For the above reaction, which of the following will most increase the production of Heat?"
A. high pressure and high temperature
B. high pressure and low temperature > correct answer
C. low pressure and high temperature
D. low pressure and low temperature > answer I chose

I understand that to increase production of heat, you would want to favor the side of the equation that creates heat, by lowering temperature. Lowering temperature would trigger the process to produce more heat to keep it at equilibrium.

But I'm not sure why the answer also includes high pressure? I chose low pressure because if we want the process to create heat, we wouldn't want high pressure because higher temperature raises pressure. So I thought that we would want there to be low pressure, and low temperature, to allow for the largest increase in temperature.

The answer in the back of the book didn't really clarify my confusion about pressure.

I hope what I've written makes sense!

INSTR_Katrina_128
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 22, 2021 2:24:46 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Sabrina!

Great question.

In this particular case, we can see that heat is a "product" (because the reaction is exothermic). So, anything that drives the reaction towards the product side will increase the production of heat.

Notice that we have 3 moles of reactants on the left and 2 moles of products on the right. So, if we INCREASE the pressure, the reactants will feel too crowded! Thus, the reaction will shift to the right, producing more products AND more heat.

Let me know if this helps. 😊