Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
ICE1
Isabella_6185
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2021 2:43:31 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi!

I'm a bit confused about question 7 and 8 for ICE 1. In the passage, they say that propane can be combusted in the apparatus as follows, and I understand how this equation is used for question 7. But question 8 says that in a combustion train the sample must be the limiting reagent by using O2 in excess. I get the logic for both questions but if the sample must be the limiting reagent why is this not the case for question 7 when the passage states that is how it is reacted in the apparatus? Thanks for your help!
INSTR_Katrina_128
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 02, 2021 1:59:38 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Yeah, I see what you're saying. This is a mean question. 😣

With question #7, they don't mention the combustion train AT ALL, so you basically have to pretend you haven't read the paragraphs that involve the combustion train. Instead, they just mention the propane, oxygen, and water, which means we should only be referring to the balanced chemical equation in the passage. From there, we can see that we have oxygen as the limiting reactant (this is rare!) and our fuel in excess. Then babityboop, we can determine B is the answer.

With question #8, THEY MENTION THE COMBUSTION TRAIN 😮😮😮🚅🚅🚅🔥🔥🔥. So, we need to incorporate everything they've said about that in the passage. That's the big difference! Now that we have oxygen in excess (thanks combustion train), then the fuel must be limiting. This is how combustion normally works.