Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
AAMC SB 91-96
Samantha_6737
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 10:03:52 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi there,

I was having a lot of difficulty with understanding the Passage from question 91-96 from the Biology Section Bank on the AAMC. I find it difficult to read through the passage and understand what they are saying and interpreting the data provided. Any advice, comments, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sam
INSTR_Molly_129
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 19, 2021 7:30:04 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hey Sam,

What you are feeling is totally valid. These questions are designed to be challenging and difficult to read and comprehend, and make you feel that its almost too hard to be tackled, but once you get more practice reading questions written this way, you will realize that most of the time, the questions seem more difficult than they actually really are!

My tips for you is to do the following:
1. BREATHE! A lot of people don't take a small pause to get themselves ready for the next passage and try to rush through things. This is super important. Take a small pause, collect your thoughts, know that you've got this, and be ready to focus on this new "patient".

2. Take a quick scan of the passage. Does it have any pictures, equations, reaction diagrams? Take a quick look at it, what does it seem to be talking about, and what kind of information do you think you might be asked to think about?

3. Map your passage. Everyone does it a little differently, and what's important to do here, is to summarize the passage in a way that helps you retain what is important. What is this "patient" trying to tell you, what's so interesting that they've decided to write a paragraph about it? I personally like to summarize each paragraph in a small set of words, and move through the passage doing that, while others approach in a different way. What's important is to summarize the passage in your own words so that you can tell this "story" to someone else.

When I am mapping data, I look at specific trends. In bio/biochem specifically, I look at what is "normal", or what is the "WT". How has the mutants deviated, and what is on those axes? For chem, I look at the trends in numbers. For example, "an increase in A means an increase/decrease in B", and I summarize those trends to help me get the most out of the data.

I hope these help. If you have any questions about any of the questions in specifics, we can also go over those together too. If you are still struggling, please reach out, we want to see you succeed and crush this exam! :)

Cheers, and happy studying,

Molly