Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Altius FL1 Psych/Soc Q25
Nicole_5521
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2021 11:17:55 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

I was wondering if you could clarify which psychological disorders and their prevalences that need to be known for the MCAT. I noticed in Q25 of the Psych/Soc section of Altius FL1, it requires you to know the prevalence of bipolar disorder, depression, OCD, and schizophrenia, with depression as the highest prevalence.

However, from the lecture, OCD is listed as 1 example of anxiety disorders with anxiety disorders as a whole having about an 18% prevalence overall. Bipolar disorder and depression are classified together as mood disorders with an overall prevalence about 10%. And schizophrenia having about a 1% prevalence.

As a result, I incorrectly chose OCD as having the highest prevalence with the lecture information, since it is a form of anxiety disorder.

In this case, should I be familiar with the prevalences of each example of all the broad psychological disorders? If so, could you confirm what those are?

Thank you!
INSTR_Taylor_140
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2021 7:48:14 PM

Hi Nicole,

It is always hard to say exactly what types of questions will come up on the MCAT exam, but it is probably too much detail to remember the prevalences of each disease. It's also important to remember context when looking at prevalence and percentages. Prevalence changes depending on the group you are looking for (ex. based on gender, race, age, geographical location etc.).

Hope that helps!
Taylor
Nicole_5521
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2021 5:43:54 PM

Yeah, that makes sense!

Is there any way to do this question without memorizing the prevalences for the psychological disorders?

Thanks!
INSTR_Kennedy_135
#4 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 3:41:44 PM

Hello,

It is suggested you know the general prevalences of psych disorders for the MCAT. 20% for anxiety, 10% for mood disorders, and about 1% for schizophrenia.

Goodluck!