Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Practice Set 8 #7 & #24
Keira_6444
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 9:01:39 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello, I am a little confused with the answers for a few questions in Bio Practice Set 8:

Passage 2 Question 7.
It asks: compared to terrestrial vertebrates, it is expected that aquatic vertebrates would...and the answer is have more melanocytes compared to terrestrial.

The answer explanation even states that melanocytes produce pigment on the skin and protect from UV, so it would be expected that aquatic vertebrates would have less of a requirement to block UV light. Maybe I am just misunderstanding how melanocytes work but then wouldn't aquatic vertebrates have less melanocytes in this case?

Passage 4 Question 24.
It asks what can be concluded from the mutation and the answer states "it does not affect the myosin heavy chain neck region". Are you able to explain why this is please? The explanation doesn't really make sense to me because from what I read it says "reductions in force were obtained in tissues containing a mutation in the myosin heavy chain"? Also, what is the "neck region"? I have never heard of that before and it doesn't mention it in the passage.

Thanks in advance!
INSTR_Molly_129
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 27, 2021 9:02:14 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello Keira,

Thanks for bringing these to our attention. I personally find that the after-class practice sets are often a bit tougher and really tests your knowledge and currently, we are recommending that students work on the Altius and AAMC materials as priority over these after-class materials.

Passage 2 Question 7:
I have flagged this question as there seems to be a discrepancy between the answer and explanation. Thanks for pointing this out!

Passage 4 Question 24:
The neck region of the myosin heavy chain is the part that holds the little "golf club" head that aids in pulling the bands closer together. Here is an image (go to Figure 3):
https://www.researchgate...ic_therapy/figures?lo=1

I agree that this passage does not appear to have mentioned anything about the neck region, so it would have been a bit difficult to answer. I will flag it for our team. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Happy studying,

Molly