Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Altius FL1 Bio Q41
Nicole_5521
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2021 4:26:01 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

I'm wondering if you could clarify the functions of cytotoxic T cells, helper T cells, and B cells.

I had thought helper T cells stimulate cytotoxic T cells and B cells and that cytotoxic T cells and B cells would only function after being stimulated by the helper T cells, therefore, those wouldn't function by themself.

Thanks!
INSTR_Taylor_140
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2021 7:15:30 PM

Hi Nicole,

You're on the right track! Helper T cells are required to activate Killer T cells and B cells. They themselves have to first be activated to effector cells by antigen presenting cells.

I can't find the exact question you are referring to though, could you provide a bit more information about it and I can look again?

Thanks!
Nicole_5521
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2021 12:19:33 AM

Hello,

Yeah, it's the stand alone Question 41 in the Bio/Biochem section of the Altius FL1 exam. "Which adaptive immunity cell type is most effective at removing a cancerous cell without the assistance of other immune cells?"

The answer choices are: cytotoxic T lymphocyte, regulatory T lymphocyte, helper T lymphocyte, natural killer cell.

The correct answer was cytotoxic T lymphocyte.

I thought since helper T cells are needed in order to activate cytotoxic T cells, the cytotoxic T cells cannot function without other immune cells. And I thought helper T cells would be the best choice since nothing is needed to activate it.

Thank you!
INSTR_Taylor_140
#4 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 5:10:48 PM

Hi Nicole!

I think the confusion around this question comes from how they are using the term "assistance." For this question, I would focus on ruling out incorrect answers, and choosing the most right answer.

The first answer that we can rule out is D. Although it does meet many of the things we are looking for, it is an innate immune cell and the question is asking for an adaptive immune cell.

The next answer we can rule out is B, regulatory T cells. We can rule these out because these are regulatory cells, and help mediate the immune cells as well as preventing auto-immunity. These cells do not act to remove cancerous cells.

That leaves us with A and C. I understand your thinking that Cytotoxic T cells need to be activated by Helper T cells, but by that definition Helper T cells cannot kill cancerous cells without Cytotoxic T cells. Because of that, it is important to think about the act of removing the cancerous cells. The only one that can do that on its own is A, cytotoxic T cells!

Hopefully that helps,

Taylor
Nicole_5521
#5 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 6:53:08 PM

Yeah, that makes sense! So, helper T cells only function to activate B cells and cytotoxic T cells, and produce memory cells, but cannot really do anything to attack infected/cancerous cells?
INSTR_Kennedy_135
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 29, 2021 2:05:09 PM

You got it!