Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Altius Full Test 2 Bio Section
Shahd_6465
#1 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2021 8:25:46 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

In question 38, we're asked about # of base pairs in the haploid genome based on the table. Here, I am a little confused because the organism has a haploid genome after meiosis I (which is represented by a mass of 24 fg in the table due to the presence of sister chromatids) and also after meiosis II (which is represented by a mass of 12 fg in the table due to absence of sister chromatids), so how do we know that they are asking about the one after meiosis II?

Is there a formula we can use for question 42?

Thank you
INSTR_Shinthujah_131
#2 Posted : Monday, July 05, 2021 8:25:10 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Shahd,

Q. 38: The passage says that "under stressful conditions the DIPLOID cells of S. cerevisiae...undergo meiosis". Therefore in the chart, at time 0 diploid cells are placed in the medium, and at this point have 24 fg of DNA content. Since the question is asking about the haploid genome, you know this means half the amount of genome, so the DNA content would be 12 fg. You can then use the equation given in the passage to identify how many base pairs.

Q. 42: There are logarithmic formulas you could use, but I personally think it would take longer to use them considering I believe you don't have access to a calculator. I would use a common denominator amount of time across the different answer choices, typically choosing the greatest common number of hours, so in this case 24 h and then write down how many cells will grow in 24 h for each answer choice.

Hope this helps :)