Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Altius FL5 Bio/Biochem
Nicole_5521
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 4:40:16 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

For Q48, I'm confused because it seems like glycolysis is the same as fermentation? But, isn't glycolysis the actual process of glucose oxidation to pyruvate when there is oxygen. And then isn't lactic acid fermentation or alcohol fermentation when there is no oxygen? I thought these were two separate things?

Also, isn't aerobic respiration the same as glycolysis as it refers to respiration with O2?

For Q52, why is I correct? Because doesn't the last sentence in the passage state that figure 1 shows how beta cells with FUNCTIONAL K+ channels can regulate intercellular Ca levels? Whereas option I is talking about DYSfunctional K+ channels?

Thank you!
INSTR_Kennedy_135
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:24:22 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello Nicole,

I do not actually have access to the FLE 5 so I will try my best to answer your questions.

Fermentation begins with glycolosis, which is an anaerobic process (none of the actual steps need oxygen). Fermentation depends on the ATP and NADH from glycolosis. Glycolosis is the starting point to cellular metabolism, but the next steps is either usually Kreb's, beta oxidation or fermentation depending on the cellular environment/circumstance.

Typically, intracellular Ca is regulated through Ca-activated K channels. There is likely something in how this question was worded or the way they presented the figure.

Goodluck!

Kennedy