Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
AAMC FL#1 BB Questions
Moiz_6047
#1 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2021 3:40:55 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
3) So just to confirm that mutations are only genetic if they occur in sperm or egg?

23) I would like to know why would option C not be right? The passage states that "these mutations resulted in continuous activation of these proteins regardless of upstream signals", is that not referring to constant activation? Also, what is the relation between the mitochondria and apoptosis? (option A).

24) Because P-gp prevents accumulation, wouldn't it make sense that it would prevent drugs from entering (optionC)?

32) Wouldn't there need to be a codon to code for the amino acid in the first place? (option A)

45) I understand that bacterial chromosomes are circular, but my reasoning for C was that post-transcriptional modification does not take place in the bacteria and therefore replication can take place efficiently limiting the need for protecting telomeres.
INSTR_Shinthujah_131
#2 Posted : Friday, August 06, 2021 10:23:19 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Moiz,

3) I would not say that. Only mutations that occur in germ cells, i.e. sperm/egg, have the potential to be passed on to progeny.

23) The passage reference you have indicated speaks to the conditions of the experiment, wherein there are various mutations in proteins UPSTREAM to p65 and cRel which cause their constant activation. The question is asking about the genes expressed AS A RESULT of the constant activation of transcription factors, p65 and cRel. We have no information that these genes have mutations but rather that constant activation of p65 and cRel causes increased proliferation and apoptosis suppression through these genes.

The mitochondria is involved in the intrinsic apoptosis pathway (beyond scope of MCAT).

24) We know the P-gp is a transporter and as transporters they move substances across the cell membrane. As such, it can not by itself prevent the entry of drugs.

32) Yes, which is why its the answer.

45) The purpose of telomeres is to ensure that the entire chromosome is being replicated in the discontinuous synthesis of chromosomes. Even if eukaryotic transcription was more efficient, we would still need telomeres. And what's to say transcription is even less efficient if it undergoes post-transcriptional modifications. A lot of assumptions being made, so i'd refrain from this kind of train of thought.

Hope this helps :)