Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Mapping for CARS
Samantha_6737
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 4:05:40 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi there,

I feel like i'm struggling to get a good idea of mapping when it comes to CARS. When I know the topic, I'm able to eliminate quickly, and easily able to eliminate 1-2 of the options. However, I feel like my mapping skill is rather weak, making that 50/50 split or sometimes even getting near the right answer with some questions really difficult. When I map, should i paraphrase what the author says into my own words, noting key words like "however" and "but" (to indicate key concepts), rather than focusing on details (if its a detail question I usually try to remember where I saw it in the passage, and go back to briefly scan since mapping details is too time consuming)

Any tips on how to better my map skills to help answer some of the more tricky questions would be appreciated

One other thing: in situations where I find that the question stem is a bit verbose or a "beyond the text question", should I paraphrase the question stem?

Thanks,
Sam
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2021 8:14:24 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Sam!

In CARS 3, we discussed some of those key concepts you should focus on when mapping, including key phrases, repetition, the use of examples. These are the kinds of things we look for when trying to map the passage. A good way to approach the passages would be to think about the key concept for each paragraph... as you move through additional paragraphs, you're updating the concept and actively seeing how the information fits together. You could also try to highlight one important concept from each paragraph. It's not as important to focus on details, but instead to focus on the arguments made by the author and how that information is supported.

I suggest paraphrasing any question stem you have trouble understanding. A lot of times, a paraphrase of a complex question stem leads you to the best answer.

Good luck!