Tag as favorite
AAMC FL#3
Moiz_6047
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 8:38:35 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi,

Some general questions:

1) For pedigree problems, if individuals are unaffected for a disease, is It still safe to assume that they may be carriers and still express the mutated allele in a recessive manner, or should we assume that they do not express it at all.

2) Are all inhibitors reversible or only competitive inhibitors as increasing concentration overrides competitive inhibitors?

3) differences concerning DNA and cDNA: I understand that DNA and cDNA are complements to one another (in other words DNA: TTT, cDNA: AAA)

Reverse Trascriptase process:
• Viral RNA > cDNA
• cDNA > mRNA (same as Viral RNA)

My question is why can cDNA and DNA code for the same mRNA strand if they are complements for one another? I would think that Viral RNA makes DNA and this DNA is converted into mRNA (like the normal process). Would really appreciate some help to clarify the difference between cDNA and DNA here and why cDNA is used. Thank you.
INSTR_Taylor_140
#2 Posted : Friday, September 03, 2021 2:23:52 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Moiz,

1) Yes, if individuals are unaffected you can assume they may still be carriers of a recessive gene!

2) Not all inhibitors are reversible, some are irreversible and cannot be overridden.

3) Your third question is a bit complex and you may get a more thorough answer from emailing one of the instructors! That being said, I think you may have things a bit mixed up in the way they work together. cDNA is typically made from a specific mRNA, not the other way around!

Hopefully that helps,
Taylor