Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Activation energy
Sukham_5277
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 4:15:15 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,
For the reaction described below the questions asks for the activation energy. Two of the answers options are:
a)the activated complex minus the energy of the products.
b)the activated complex minus the energy of the reactants.
I think option a is describing a endothermic reaction and option b is describing a exothermic reaction. My question is based on the passage how can you tell if the reaction is exothermic or endothermic.

Passage:
Iodine and zinc are the reactants in an experiment to find the stoichiometry of a reaction. Gray, granular zinc metal (2.0 g) and purple iodine crystals (2.0 g) are added to an Erlenmeyer flask containing 25 mL of methanol (CH3OH). The iodine dissolves in the methanol giving a red-brown solution. After 15 min of heating, the solution is pale yellow, and a few gray granules remain at the bottom of the flask. The liquid is decanted into a beaker. The remaining granules are rinsed several times with methanol, and the methanol from each rinse is added to the beaker. The methanol is then evaporated, leaving a solid, yellow-white product of iodide of zinc. The mass of the dry product is obtained. The unreacted zinc granules are also dried and weighed.

A 2:1 ratio of moles of iodine atoms to zinc atoms in the product is consistently obtained. The mass of iodine and reacted zinc equals the mass of product.

Thank you!
INSTR_Katerina_102
#2 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2020 12:57:24 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi Sukham,

For the reaction described below the questions asks for the activation energy. Two of the answers options are:
a)the activated complex minus the energy of the products.
b)the activated complex minus the energy of the reactants.
I think option a is describing a endothermic reaction and option b is describing a exothermic reaction. My question is based on the passage how can you tell if the reaction is exothermic or endothermic.

It is a common misconception to mix up thermodynamics with kinetics. Activation energy is a kinetic property which depends in the energy of the reactants and the transition state (TS) or activated complex.

Here, the correct answer should be b) because by definition the activation energy is the energy of the TS - the energy of the reactants.

Note that this does not say anything about exothermic or endothermic reactions, which are determined by comparing the energies of the reactants and the products to eachother.

I have attached a visual explanation here: https://alumniubcca-my.s...qm3sgOtTVevQHg?e=Ze0B7n

Please let me know if this is unclear,

Katt