Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
AAMC Section Bank Bio/Biochem Q100
emily_5557
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 08, 2021 2:31:08 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello! I got this question right but I just wanted clarification on why one of the other answers was wrong. I just assumed that a Southern Blot looks at DNA therefore cannot really tell anything about gene expression. Northern Blots and Reverse Transcription PCR were easy eliminations because both were regarding RNA and related to gene expression. Eliminating Western Blot was a little tricky because all I could remember was that they can analyze levels of protein expression but I didn’t know whether they could analyze anything about gene expression. Is the reason why Western Blots can detect gene expression is that since protein is made by mRNA transcripts that by looking at protein expression levels, you can analyze the mRNA expression levels which the protein derived from?

Any clarification would be helpful thank you!
John_6284
#2 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 5:05:03 PM

Off-topic but seeing as you worked your way through to question 100 of AAMC Section Bank (Biological Sciences), did you notice that question #83 is part of a passage that wasn't included in our homework list? Did you work through the full passage?
emily_5557
#3 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2021 9:02:27 PM

Hi! Sorry for the late reply I totally forgot to check this thread - I did work through the full passage anyways because it was one question and I'm pretty sure the concept was taught in like the lesson after
INSTR_Kennedy_135
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:12:43 PM

Hello Emily,

A really great MCAT skill to practice is to pick the BEST answer. You can waste a lot of time getting into the specific, mute details of each option.

Your line of thinking and reasoning is perfect :) Western blot can assess gene expression thru mRNA levels. Have more confidence in your critical thinking!

Goodluck