Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
ICE 4: Question 90
Sara_5306
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 12:35:47 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi there,

I am a little confused about question 90... It states that children who are medically unable to produce speech, unable to produce speech errors have mastered their native language.

The answer is Nativist theory for language development; however, how can the child's ability to learn his/her native language be biological/genetic if the question says that they are medically unable to produce speech? Doesn't that rule nativist theory out? Wouldn't he/she be able to learn language through learned behaviour instead?

Thank you!
INSTR_Radhika_42
#2 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 3:06:04 PM

Hello,

Good question!

My take on this lies in how you interpret medically unable - to me this means innately or inherently these children have the capacity to produce speech and thereby, speech errors. However, since they are medically unable to do so - owing to illness related to treatment or prevention that was introduced by medicine -they should have the innate ability regardless. This is why the answer would most support Nativist and not learned behaviour since the 'medically unable' is impacting their ability to respond to feedback.

I hope this helps!

Sara_5306
#3 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 3:14:17 AM

Your response totally makes sense; however, it wasn't the first answer that came to mind. Thank you for your help!
INSTR_Radhika_42
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2020 2:04:36 PM

You're very welcome - sometimes students say there are 'CARS-esque' questions on Psych/Soc, I think this is an example where that may be a case!