Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Timing for CARS + Mapping
Faraah_6727
#1 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 2:15:27 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

I recently did Altius FLE 1 and did fairly well on the first 5 passages, but did pretty terrible on the last 4. I realized that I mapped the first 5 passages and likely did well on them because I mapped as I read. After the 5th passage, I realized I was short on time and thus avoided mapping for the last 4 passages because I thought I might not be able to finish if I kept mapping. Even though I didn’t map the last passages, I was still running short on time and felt very rushed.

I’m just wondering if there are any strategies about whether or not we should map every single passage and also how we should deal with the time it takes to map. I feel like if I had enough time to map every single passage I likely would’ve done better, but I also would not have been able to complete all the questions.

Thanks!
INSTR_Kennedy_135
#2 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 4:06:14 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Mapping is extremely helpful (as you can see!). It is however a skill and takes time, the more you practice mapping the quicker it will get. You do want to try and keep your mapping concise and summarized. Also, usually, when the timing is off it's usually from spending too much time on the questions and not from reading the passages.

5 minutes per passage and about 1-minute question.

Hope this helps!

Kennedy