Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Altius FL 3 Passage 7 Question 37
Lauren_6408
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 06, 2021 7:05:45 AM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hi there,
For question 37. The correct answer is C and while I agree this statement has little support in it I don't believe it was a passage assertion. It was implied at the end of paragraph 2 but never actually stated by the author. The question says which passage assertion is least supported so I eliminated C because it wasn't a passage assertion. I selected answer D because even though I felt it was intuitive why natural disasters cannot be prevented the author never explained why he felt that way and didn't provide evidence to this assertion.

Are inferences about the passage considered to be passage assertions? I have been slightly confused with which assumptions and inferences can be made and which can't. If the MCAT asks a question such as "which of the following passage assertions..." does it need to outright be an assertion of the passage (not word for word but at least clearly expressed) or can it be an inference type of thing such as this answer was?

Thank you,
Lauren
INSTR_Meaghan_74
#2 Posted : Friday, July 09, 2021 10:30:52 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
You don't have to have a word-for-word statement from the passage for it to be an assertion of the author. The author does believe that Exxon is a villain.... look at the wording of the statement at the end of paragraph 2, "In an oil spill, such as the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill [] the villain goes without saying." The author is saying there that he doesn't have to outright say that Exxon is a villain, because it is so obvious it "goes without saying". That feels like a fairly strongly worded assertion.

Hope this helps!
Meaghan