Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Altius FL4 Chem/Physics Q3
Nicole_5521
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 07, 2021 5:04:18 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello,

For Q3 on Altius FL4 Chem/Physics, I'm wondering how to realize that Figure 1 is the 6S,7R isomer? From there, how do you realize that it's the top ring (6-membered) that is of interest?

I see how the reaction works from the answer explanation, but I feel like I wouldn't have been able to figure it out by myself. Do you have any tips for solving this type of question? And also solving it fast?

Thanks so much!
INSTR_Molly_129
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 4:41:28 PM

Hi Nicole,

S/R can definitely be tricky, but I usually do this to help me find a stereocenter. Look for a carbon center with at least three bonds drawn on it. Generally, they have a pretty good chance of being a stereocentre.

As for solving this problem, you will have to look for places that are similar between the reactant and the product. Looking at brevicomin, there is a two carbon chain thats stickng out from a bond to a carbon bound to an oxygen. The only time when we see something like this is on carbon #8 and 9 of the starting epoxide. So, working our way across, we will find that carbon 7 is the first in the ring, and carbon #6 is the next one that would bind to an oxygen (they labelled it carbon #1 to confuse you in the first diagram). This tells me that carbon #6 is therefore the one involved in this ring-closing mechanism.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,

Molly
Nicole_5521
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 5:36:48 PM

Hi Molly,

How is the 2 carbon chain like carbon 8 and 9?

Thanks
INSTR_Molly_129
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2021 7:12:40 PM

Hi Nicole,

When looking at the bicyclic ring structure, the first thing that sticks out to me is the presence of a two-carbon chain on the left of the ring. Those two carbons are then attached to a carbon attached to an oxygen. The only place I see that two-carbon chain is carbon 8 and 9, which is before it hits a carbon with an oxygen attached (carbon #7) in the non-ring, open chain format of the molecule. The other location could have been carbon #1, which is connected to carbon #2 that is connected to oxygen, but that wouldn't make sense... how would I have seen a two-carbon chain sticking out from carbon #2...?

I hope that that is more clear,

Molly