Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Tag as favorite
Social Mobility
Taryn_6355
#1 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 5:19:09 PM

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
I was reviewing question number 99 from the AAMC Psych/Soc Section Bank about a salaried corp lawyer who gets fired and gets a job with hourly pay in a retail store.

The options for types of social mobility are:
Intragerenational
Intergenerational
Horizontal
Vertical

I realize that it is Vertical, but is it not also Intragenerational because the mobility is within 1 generation? If it is both, is direction more relevant? What should have been my thought process here?
INSTR_Taylor_140
#2 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2021 5:08:35 AM

Hi Taryn!

It is helpful to think of intragenerational mobility as being over a lifetime. In this case, the question is talking more specifically about the event of being fired from a salaried job and moving to a position with hourly pay. As an event, this is vertical mobility. Intragenerational mobility is more concerned with the movement through society over an entire lifetime, in this case there is still a possibility that the individual regains the salary that was lost in the future, so it is more difficult to determine intragenerational mobility here.

Hopefully this helps!
Taylor
Lauren_6408
#3 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2021 7:22:01 AM

That helped me out too, thanks! Just another question about mobility. What would be an example of horizontal mobility? Could an example be a worker moving from being a fast food restaurant employee to a cashier at a grocery store (changing job types but both being minimum wage jobs)?

Thanks,
Lauren
INSTR_Vanessa_133
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 4:54:19 PM

Hi Lauren,

That is correct! Horizontal mobility occurs when an individual moves within the same class rather than up or down. One way I like to think of it is that that someone's prestige and social standing will remain the same.

Another example would be if a doctor went from practicing medicine in a clinic to taking a job as a teacher in a medical school. Their social status and prestige remains the same even if their job changed.